Sunday, April 27, 2008

Baking Soda to encourage new growth???


I have two Japanese Boxwoods in huge pots on each side of my pool. We planted them 1 1/2 years ago in an effort to create a nicer pool area. I hadn't paid much attention to the boxwoods because I thought of them as "slow growers" that didn't need much care. This spring I started fertilize them and I planted marigold seeds around them. I noticed one of them had a lot of ants crawling around. My grandma used to deter ants with baking soda. I wasn't sure if it worked for her but I figured I'd give it a try. The ants were gone within a day. After a week I noticed an unusual amount of light green new growth on the boxwood while the other one remained the same. I couldn't have been the fertilizer because both received the same amount. I kept watching for another two weeks and it seems that the bakin soda boxwood had almost doubled in size.
Yes, I treated the second boxwood with baking soda as well. After a week, it showed a lot of new growth. I've been googling baking soda to see if it, in fact, acts as a growth booster. No luck.
Now I'm wondering, of course, if I could use it on other shrubs as well. I have a hibiscus in the front yard and the, for Florida obligatory, hedge of pink azaleas.

No comments: